November Post II

<Interview>

For the interview section, I decided to interview my grandfather and my father. They lived in Hwasun County, where is nearby Gwangju during the Gwangju Uprising. Hwasun county wasn't the part of the government riot but it was still districted area like Gwangju (no one from other city or country could come in). Even though the county where my grandfather and father lived was't the part of the riot, it still was influenced by the riot.
First, I interviewed my father. He was 24 years old when the riot happened. Two month before the Gwangju uprising happened, he left home to go back to his college. He did not expect the riot to happened and the situation was really bad. When the Gwangju Uprising was going on, he did not know about the government riot to the citizen in Gwangju because the government restricted any sort of contact from Gwangju to any other place; the government kept the truth and rejected to reveal it. They ended up with relaying the false information of the Gwangju Uprising; they said that some of the gangster group is being very violent and causing the riot to the citizen, so that the government is trying to help the citizen from the danger.
My father thought had no doubt on the false news that the government had published because the situation in Seoul, where his college was, wasn't good either. It was better than how Gwangju was but still the college students, who hated how the government system,  were revolting towards the government to be democracy. Many of the college students who revolted towards the government were arrested by police. Because of many incident, he tried to call his family, who lived in Hwasun county. All the contacts was blocked by government and the doubt started to appear from there.
 My father did not know about the government publishing the false information until the foreign reporter published the video of the 'Truth in Gwangju". "The truth was terrible", my father said. "The soldiers were killing all the innocent citizens no matter what; they killed young children, elderly people, and also pregnant women." There were many people who revolted towards the government like how many people in Seoul was but the outcome of the revolt was the death.
(I couldn't interview my grandfather because he is in the hospital right now but when I go back to Korea for winter break, I am planning to interview him about this)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April Post II

January Post I

February Post I